Mobile internet data and call plans in Malaysia are rather affordable, a starter pack can be as cheap as RM15 for 6GB of data.
Mobile Data Plan
According to Open Signal’s independent Mobile Network Experience Report (Sep 2022), Digi (20.5 Mbps) provides the fastest average Download Speed, best video experience and leads in Excellent Consistent Quality followed by Unifi, then Maxis. Celcom offers the best 4G Coverage followed by Digi and Maxis. Maxis beats the competition on the quality of experience when it comes to playing multiplayer mobile games in Malaysia. U Mobile provides the best Voice App Experience. Yes Network is top for Availability.
Recently Celcom and Digi have merged and together they can bring you the best of both networks.
Where to Buy and Register Mobile Phone & Data Plan at the Airport:
- 7 Eleven (KLIA Main Terminal Building Departure Hall, Level 5, Lot No. MTB-5-L20 | Shop Hours: 24 Hours)
- Digi Store (MTBAP No.5, Public Concourse Arrival Hall | Tel: 6 016 – 299 8888 | Operating Hours: 24 hours)
- Maxis Centre (Lot No. 2, Contact Pier, International Arrival, KLIA | Operating Hours: 6:00 am – 12:00 am)
KLIA 2 (Terminal 2)
- myNews.com Convenience Store (KLIA2 Gate J (Level 1A), S1-1A-A07A | Shop Hours: 07.00AM – 11:00PM)
- 7 Eleven, L3-05, Level 3, Gateway@klia2 mall | 24 hours
- Maxis Mobile Sdn Bhd, Lot No S2-2-1C03B, Arrival Hall, Public Concourse klia2 | 24 hours
- U Mobile (L2-74 on Level 2 of the Gateway@klia2 mall, Arrival Hall | 24 hours)
How Prepaid plan works
First buy a plan with a new SIM number, you can pick the cheapest one which comes with small amount of data and credit
To top up, you can
- Go directly to the mobile network shops and request for help
- Buy credit from mobile app like Grab, Touch n GO, convenience stores or online. With the credit you have to activate the Top-up plan by following the instructions, for example Dial *123*code# to activate it ( *123*8620239836475819#) or install the app (such as Digi app) to Reload.
You can buy it at Convenience stores, supermarkets, online (Internet and Call Plans, Shopee) or Digi Stores
Digi Prepaid Mobile Data/ Call Plans
For a new number, buy the Starter Pack which has a new SIM card or e-SIM registration.
For example, Digi Prepaid NEXT35 for Unlimited Social (TikTok, IG, FB, Twitter) + 30GB data for 30 days High Speed Internet at RM35 | RM0.10/SMS. Follow the instructions to activate. You will receive an email from Digi with your activation code within 24 hours after purchase.
DIGI Prepaid Internet Starter Pack SIM card
Maxis Hotlink Prepaid Plan
Starter SIM pack with RM5 pre-loaded credit and 500MB Internet – RM10
High Speed Internet for Hotlink – RM15 for 8GB of data (There are other options)
Activate eSIM with Yoodo App
- You can create your own mobile plan, customizing how much Data, Voice (mins) and SMS you want. How to Sign Up Yoodo
- Yoodo runs on the Celcom network.
- Activate online and enjoy free SIM card delivery.
- If your phone supports eSIM, you don’t even need the physical SIM card. You can activate eSIM using the Yoodo App.