Ketosis is a natural state when your body burns ketones, an alternative fuel in the form of fat, for energy when glucose level is low. Eating more than 30-50 grams of carbs per day may provide your body with enough glucose to stop producing ketones, kick you out of ketosis and use glucose as fuel instead.
Here is a list Keto food, Try to eat fresh whole food and cut down on processed food.
- Meat, seafood, eggs
- Low Carb vegetables
- Fruits: Avocados, berries and certain low carb fruits
- Fermented food: Tempeh (fermented soybeans), kimchi, sauerkraut, pickles, kombucha, miso soup, cheese, yogurt
- Unsweetened coffee and tea. You can add heavy cream – Two tablespoons of heavy cream have about 1 gram of carb
- Unsweetened dark chocolate and cocoa powder
- Low-carb veggies – Broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, bell peppers, zucchini, lettuce, spinach, cabbage, asparagus, kale, Brussel sprouts, bean sprouts, turnips, parsnips, Spaghetti squash
- Baby corn has 2.31g of net carbs per 100g serving compared to 18g of net carbs in corn (which is not keto)
- Nuts – Pecan, Brazil nut, Macadamia, Walnut, Hazelnut, Almond, Pine nuts
- Nut butter with salt, without sugar and other additives
- Seeds – Sunflower, Chia, Flax, Hemp seeds
- Salmon, tuna, pork belly
- Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, Butter, ghee, animal fat
- Avocado – guacamole, smoothie
- Fat bombs (fat-rich bites) – which can be made from nut butter, nuts, coconut oil, avocados, cream cheese, heavy cream, unsweetened cocoa powder/ chocolate chips, bacon, stevia/ monkfruit sweetener
Grams of net carbs per 100 grams. Photo: sweetashoney.co
- Avocados are the most keto-friendly fruit
- Berries – blackberries, raspberries, strawberries. Blueberries have higher carb content, so limit your portion size.
Fish Skin, broccoli, cauliflower chips
- Monkfruit (Luo Han Guo) – It tastes 250 times sweeter than sucrose, yet it contains no carbs/ no calories. Dried monkfruit is used to make tea which can relieve cough in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Stevia can be 250–300 times sweeter than sucrose and it contains 0 carbs. Stevia is derived from a herbal shrub native to South America.
Excluded from Keto Diet
- Legumes: Edamame, Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), Peanuts, Black beans, Green peas, Lima beans, Kidney beans, Black-eyed peas, Navy beans, broad beans
- Starchy vegetables: Corn, White potatoes, Sweet potatoes, Green peas, Beets, Acorn squash, Butternut squash.
- High Carb nuts: Cashews, chestnuts, and pistachios
- Fruits: Grape, apple, mangoes, papayas, bananas, pineapple, dates,